Unfaithful

Rihanna's Actual Records Sold

19 posts in this topic

I've seen many Rihanna fan pages claiming that Rihanna has sold 250, 260, and even 280M records sold (worldwide) but I believe they're just picking whatever sales they see on a "news" page and stick with whatever's the highest. The thing is, this Wikipedia article states that Rihanna has 201M certified units, while backing up proof for 200M records sold by two articles (and many more articles, but only two were needed.)

HOWEVER, the MTV EMA page states that Rihanna has sold 264M records worldwide http://tv.mtvema.com/_/rihanna and Billboard said she has sold over 275M record worldwide http://www.billboardmusicawards.com/2016/05/rihanna-perform-2016-bbmas/ . 

I'm starting to believe Billboard and MTV have inflated her sales drastically - as none of them seem accurate. Almost all places that had articles about Rihanna and briefly mention her sales stated she had sold over 200M records (what her label claims -- already having a 1.1M records above the claim, according to the Wikipedia article) and all of a sudden, 5 months forward, she has 64~75M records appearing out of nowhere?

What do you all think about it?

Wikipedia shouldn't be trusted. TBH I don't keep track on album sales cause she's just slaying on this field... ANTI is still super high on Billboard! This is major

She's sold:

Worldwide Record Sales: 275 million*

*Figure includes streaming equivalents.

Worldwide Pure Single Sales: 170 million**
Worldwide Pure Album Sales: 34 million
Worldwide Pure Record Sales: 204 million**

**Excludes featured songs.

Total Pure Record Sales (incl. features): 260 million

source: http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337157

(I don't get how the total pure record sales including features is 260 million, only her featurings sold 60 million? lol) 

I also think she isn't actually the second best selling female of all time, i think this is the most correct list of the best selling females, look:

1. Madonna (300+ million)
  2. Celine Dion (300 million)
  3. Mariah Carey (300 million)
  4. Whitney Houston (280 million)
  5. Rihanna (260 million)

2 people like this

Thanks for this update :) lets try to keep track of these numbers so if anyone asks Rihanna Navy will have 100% correct data

But here's the thing, that website is also using the Billboard article as a source for her 275M records, which, up till now, is up in the air if it's authentic or not. If you have checked the ATRL website before, they had counted Rihanna's record sales up till 190M or so (months ago) and now, once updated, has 204M -confirmed-. They're merely using the Billboard article as a 'source' for the 275M thingy. 

As for being the fifth, I personally DO believe she's the 2nd best selling female, as many of these figures of sales are from fan-made charts and pages that exaggerate the sales so much. (I could be wrong, but that's me talking from what I have experienced so far.)

As much as Rihanna is my all-time favorite singer, there have only been one source that said she sold 275M - and we don't even know where those 71M came from, as every article months prior to the Billboard one (no new articles mentioned her 'updated' record sales beyond 200M so far, as far as I know) mentioned she sold 200M, suddenly Billboard gives her +75 and MTV gives her + 64M... kinda seems way off. 

If she did sell 275M, great, but we need confirmation and not a single article that suddenly gave us a large number. If she didn't, oh well, she still can., she slays.

Billboard claimed Rihanna has sold  264M records before the ANTI Era began, & i think she has sold around 285M Records now. 

Work - 7M

TIWYCF - 5,6M

Needed Me - 1,6M

KIB (it sold around 200k in US so probably 400k WW)

Too Good - 2M

ANTI - 2,7M include samsung

+ Rihanna IS the 2nd best selling female behind madonna guys. Madonna didnt sell 400M nor 500M records. She sold around 330-340M Records. 

10 minutes ago, RihannaPedia said:

Billboard claimed Rihanna has sold  264M records before the ANTI Era began, & i think she has sold around 285M Records now. 

Really? I have never actually seen that around, may you post the link just to be sure?

4 minutes ago, Unfaithful said:

Really? I have never actually seen that around, may you post the link just to be sure?

i dont have the link now but they did claimed Rihanna sold 264M Records before the ANTI Era. she's coming for Madonna.

That's actually great news. But part of me still can't believe only Billboard has these super high sales? I understand Billboard should be the "elite" when it comes to being trusted, but every other article (before and during the beginning of the Anti era) stated she has 200M and yet Billboard says otherwise? It seems very mind-boggling but, I guess Billboard has some credibility laced to their words.

What about Celine and Mariah? Anyway, I will always say that she's the second best selling female artist of all time anyway obviously LOL

i don't think Work has sold over 7 million  worldwide

this year, the song that is topping on year end chart is 'One Dance' with 7.3 m copies sold

Sales | ANTI era/ featurings worldwide 10/04

Work 5.295.000

This Is What You Came For 5.660.000 still charting

Too Good 2.547.000 still charting

Needed Me 1.763.000  still charting

Kiss It Better 200k UK | 223k US | 15k NZ | others according to the peaks and longevity  30k = 440k WW

Love On The Brain 150k

On 10/05/2016 at 7:53 PM, Paulo said:

I also think she isn't actually the second best selling female of all time, i think this is the most correct list of the best selling females, look:

1. Madonna (300+ million)
  2. Celine Dion (300 million)
  3. Mariah Carey (300 million)
  4. Whitney Houston (280 million)
  5. Rihanna (260 million)

These lists for some reason always seem to neglect abd under value Janet jackson. If she's sold  50m  just on 2 album sales (not including their single sales) then how is she not above Rihanna? Janet has just as much #1 singles and top tens to see her overall record sales go beyond 265m. I dont trust any source with these figures becausr no one knows for sure.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, NoFizzNoPop said:

These lists for some reason always seem to neglect abd under value Janet jackson. If she's sold  50m  just on 2 album sales (not including their single sales) then how is she not above Rihanna? Janet has just as much #1 singles and top tens to see her overall record sales go beyond 265m. I dont trust any source with these figures becausr no one knows for sure.

Exactly tbh, Wikipedia isn't always a reliable source but it's not a negligible source either -- it really seems to accurately depict Riri's sales on the best-selling artist' page.

1 person likes this

First guys let me say, I love RiRi and the best selling female artist is in this order

1. Madonna: 365m

2. Celine Dion: 260m

3. Whitney Houston: 230m

4. Mariah Carey: 210m

5. Rihanna: 203m as of 2017

so Rihanna is the fifth overall.

don't believe me? Here this person made a fantastic montage which clears all doubts https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yDsUyX4lRfg

2 hours ago, harsh123 said:

First guys let me say, I love RiRi and the best selling female artist is in this order

1. Madonna: 365m

2. Celine Dion: 260m

3. Whitney Houston: 230m

4. Mariah Carey: 210m

5. Rihanna: 203m as of 2017

so Rihanna is the fifth overall.

don't believe me? Here this person made a fantastic montage which clears all doubts https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yDsUyX4lRfg

This isn't very accurate. Celine never had an article about her or an interview where they said she sold 250M+, and same case with Madonna, no one ever said 350M+. People have always said about Whitney and Mariah 200M+ but they don't have as much certified units as Rihanna, they've always been peaked at 170~200M. (Yet Mariah always makes the interviewers call her the 'best selling female'). Right now Wikipedia has seemingly always been very accurate (yes, surprisingly Wikipedia has been accurate) and precise in its recordings, while other sources inflated these artists' sales like crazy. They don't have proof it's what they sold, even Disney itself said Mariah's is 200M+. If Mariah truly sold 210, Rihanna is known to have neared 215M certified units anyways, that guy is off by 10~12M units. He's almost an accurate source, which is great, but it is not perfect.

Billboard and Nielsen are the most credible sources when it comes to sales. Please dont refer to any blogs, or any other sites that arent known for reporting sales. Billboard and Nielsen reports sales week after week. They would know what they are talking about. Over any blogger. 

On 2/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, RihDiscussion said:

Billboard and Nielsen are the most credible sources when it comes to sales. Please dont refer to any blogs, or any other sites that arent known for reporting sales. Billboard and Nielsen reports sales week after week. They would know what they are talking about. Over any blogger. 

While I agree with you, MTV said she's at 264M and Billboard said she's at 275M which seem unrealistically high for those who are tracking her sales, in which they allow a margin of error of about 20-30%; which to speak of, Wikipedia is one of those that track her sales while keeping them realistic which recently bumped it into 230M.

You are aware that anyone can go right into wikipedia and change it to whatever they want it to say right?

On 2/28/2017 at 11:34 PM, RihDiscussion said:

You are aware that anyone can go right into wikipedia and change it to whatever they want it to say right?

Yeah but the research done on all of the artists seem pretty reasonable. They simply keep track of an artist's records sold and then compare it to claimed sales from websites that seem trustworthy enough and rank the artists based on that. I would seriously trust Billboard and MTV and such in 99% of the cases, but they keep shifting the claim of how much Rihanna sold so much when they speak of her records sold, so at this point they seem really unable to give us a solid figure.