Rihanna has kinda confirmed what we all suspected. Earlier today she tweeted a picture from a studio describing it as #R8. This is the hashtag fans use to describe Rihanna’s yet untitled 8th studio album. We’ve already seen images of Rihanna outside recording studios, joined by other musicians (including by Kanye West and Coldplay’s Chris Martin). So far we’ve only heard a confirmation from DreamWorks Animation that she is working on a concept album for their animated movie “Home”, which will be out early next year! Can’t wait!
Fresh off of yesterday’s Twitter-fueled speculation that Rihanna will be blessing the world with a new collaboration with rap goddess Nicki Minaj, VIBE caught up with Tor Erik—one half of the platinum production duo Stargate—for an inside look at the singer’s upcoming album, tentatively due out later this year.
The Norwegian studio craftsmen, who are currently garnering praise for their work on Michael Jackson’s posthumous Xscape release, have a long history of hits with Rihanna (four consecutive no. 1 singles and still counting). Chief among them 2007’s “Don’t Stop The Music,” 2010’s “Only Girl (In The World)” and 2012’s mammoth chart-topper “Diamonds.” So what’s in store for the Bajan beauty’s legion of Navy followers? Read on!
VIBE: You and your partner Mikkel Eriksen have been in the studio with Rihanna working on her upcoming album. Coming off the platinum success of Unapologetic, a project that saw her receive some of the best reviews of her career, what can fans expect from this upcoming project?
Tor Erik of Stargate: We are right in the middle of the record. We have written some incredible material that we are really excited about and that Rihanna is excited about. I can’t wait for the world to hear that. Because she moves around so much if you looked at paparazzi pictures it looks like all Rihanna does is party. But in the studio she is one of the most focused, hardworking artists, and she wants to get things done.
- Rihanna has been tweeting what appear to be new music lyrics! She’s been seen in recording studios since last year. Maybe it’s time for her 8th album to come out already! Share your thoughts here.
You’re just another brick and I’m a sledgehammer #barz / You gone make me a believer…even if that shit ain’t true #Barz / Politics is one bold move… Politics in lovin’ you #barz / Your silver tongue is full of lies, with tricks and thrills and Bambi eyes / And I hate that all I hate just don’t compare, because I love you #barz / Let me make it clear, ain’t no place better, than where we’re together…just me and my money #bars / You be the type that’ll wife her, I take her home and I don’t even like her / You be the type that’ll fall in love, I be the type that be giving a fuuuuuck / I’d rather beee, smoking weeeed, everytime ya kiiiiss me, dooooon’t say that you miiiiss me…
- Rihanna is also working on a concept album around the forthcoming 3D-movie titled “Home”. Emeli Sande recently revealed: “I’ve been writing for Rihanna’s new movie, which has been incredible.”
- Billboard and Twitter launched the Billboard Twitter Real-Time Charts. These new, interactive charts redefine how fans interact with, and influence, popular content by ranking the most popular songs being shared on Twitter in the U.S. Read more about it here.
- Rihanna is nominated for two awards in the Italian MTV Awards: Vogue Eyewear Best Look & Best Video. Vote here.
- In an interview with Style.com, Tom Ford spoke about his CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award, but also touched on the current state of fashion. The designer believes that the critic to consumer model is no longer relevant, and doesn’t serve to inform or alter the tastes of the masses. Instead, people care more about the social media co-signs of megastars like Rihanna. Rihanna agreed and tweeted “he gets it”. Ford explained:
Something new is happening that I’m just clueing into now—this probably won’t go down well—but customers don’t care any more about reviews or hard-copy publications. They care what picture Rihanna just Instagrammed while she’s naked in bed, what new shoes she has on, how she’s talking about them. That’s what they respond to.
It’s here! Shakira’s “Can’t Remember To Forget You” was released this Monday. Listen below and tell us how you like it.