ANTI certified Platinum; TIDAL’s director of Marketing talks ANTI

ANTI is officially certified platinum (1 million copies sold) by the Recording Industry Association of America!

iTunes     TIDAL

ANTI was streamed more than 13 million times the night it was dropped, and all the free downloads (over a million) that Rihanna offered on Twitter were redeemed within 14 hours.

“When we started this campaign, we expected this to take a week,” Grace Kim, TIDAL’s director of Marketing told SPIN over the phone. Instead, they moved “1.4 million in not 24 hours but 15 hours,” she continued. “That’s a really big deal for us.” When asked if the initial leak of the record just hours before it was officially released hurt or helped ANTI gain the buzz to ship 1.4 million copies, Kim said no. “Look, we know what happened here, in the sense that unfortunately we still rely on systems, and there was a system error. But I don’t think it hurt it at all.”

Though the RIAA is recognizing ANTI’s milestone numbers, Billboard and Nielsen are not counting ANTI’s sales on TIDAL towards their totals. “There were conversations [with Billboard] early on when this promotion and partnership started, but ultimately it became about giving music directly to the fans,” Kim explained. “While everyone would’ve loved to have it count, the thing that we’re focused on here is that it’s No. 1.”

“This is the new model. The new model is about how many fans are we getting the music to,” Kim told SPIN. “Soon enough everyone else with have to come along for the ride. We believe this is just the beginning of how we market albums, how we distribute music to fans, how fans consume music. It’s just a different way of thinking.”

For their part, TIDAL considers ANTI a tremendous success, and the buzz about the album (and future large projects they’re not allowed to hint at yet) are helping to draw people to the streaming site following a slow burn. “We’re ecstatic,” Kim said.

More to come…

Related articles:

1. Maria Perez says:

I have to say TIDAL IS the best place to find all your music and video and Rihanna is rocking this ANTI R8 us Navy’s don’t play when it comes to Robyn Rihanna Fenty i love her music her fashion style and just herself she is a amazing talented person and if you working with Rihanna then you working with the best because us Navy’s are going to keep our Queen Rihanna on top of the world day and night #RihannaNavy4life #IAmRihannaNavyTellIDie

2. Keisha Wilson says:

I agree putting Anti on tidal for free did not hurt. ANTI IS NUMBER 1 ON ITUNES (in the U.S) right now. I’m definitely not worried about the numbers Anti will do. Proud to be #RihannaNAVY

3. Real fan says:

Ok, I’m gonna need yall to stop the foolishness and stop acting like ya’ll don’t know Samsung bought those 1 million copies. Stop acting like ya’ll went out a buy anything.
    Adele, JB and Taylor are real artist because they don’t need companies like Samsung to buy their albums, instead their fans are the ones who actually buy.
    Rihanna is the biggest gimmick in the industry.
    Cheap Navy lol

• FireStarter says:

The album still sold 400,000 copies AFTER if was giving away for free! On a scale of Pretzels to Ocean how salty are you???? It’s only day 2 and the Navy got more surprises coming. #NAVORDIE

• Real fan says:

You too funny. 400k oh please! tell Jay, Rihanna and flop tidal to stop lying. Now you know darn well Rihanna never sold 400k copies in no 1 day. This album is wack. Rihanna did pull those numbers with hit singles but she gonna push 400k copies with a flop song and album.
        Stop the lies.

• rosy says:

Get your nasty ass off rih site and take your hate to grapejuice the sad thing is you haters have miserable lives if you cannot be happy for another accomplishments something is wrong with your mind rih navy ride with her no matter what don’t fuck with us or we will drag you to hell and back

• Maria Perez says:

Yes I just don’t know what wrong with people this days look Navy’s we know Rihanna and she knows us so later for the haters keep making that money baby gal Rihanna us Are right there with you baby gal Robyn Rihanna Fenty our #1

• Maria Perez says:

Hey smartass if you don’t believe Navy’s go out of our Queen Rihanna come to New York City ANTI R8 TOUR AND SEE HOW WE NAVY’S KEEP ON TOP OF OUR QUEEN RIHANNA LIKE really you think she needs Samsung lol you mean Samsung needs Robyn Rihanna Fenty Our Queen Rihanna man huff and puff Navy’s like what !!!! All I know shit Bitch Better have baby gal Money! !! like flip blah blah blah Navy’s go in gal Rihanna Don’t let nothing stop your dreams baby gal Rihanna you go gal!!!!!!!!!!! Lol I hope to see this on your ad some were baby gal let them know this is a real life Fan and I know so so many Navy’s that feel the same from all over the world Robyn Jah God you and not let no one stop you from dreaming your doing a amazing thing with your Dreams we Navy’s are #RihannaNavy4life #IAmRihannaNavyTellIDie ride or die Navy’s I’m in gal and I did not get nothing free your worste the money your my #1 I freaking love ya badass Riri! !!!!!!!! From your Navy that is so freaking proud of you Robyn Rihanna Fenty please let this know a Navy’s voice from New York City Maria Perez love you so much! !!! Take me deeper into your dreams I’m loving it ♡ I hope you see this post and it makes it some way because it’s the truth

• Maria Perez says:

Yes this is Love from Navy’s all over the world you just don’t know how many people love Rihanna this is real.We are #RihannaNavy4life #IAmRihannaNavyTellIDie Navy’s go hard for our Queen Rihanna she our #1

• Maria Perez says:

• Antifanr8 says:

We are happy to see her have this impact and honestly we do not care about her sales, Anti is a great album so even if it sold one copy great doesnt equal numbers but it just a blessing when a good artist can get recognition for the good work they do! (Hint) her sales.

Have a nice day!

4. nadia says:

I don’t understand why her album is not on google play yet😡😡😢😢😢

5. rosy says:

This is big for rih why people cannot understand 500000 people bought the album including me we use our money not Samsung they gave 1 million away and we her navy bought the rest what is so hard to understand these illiterate behives cannot add subtract divide and read they can only count their foodstamps

6. rosy says:

Keep your head up island gal all these haters want you to fail but you keep rising and God is looking out for you all de time the album is good I’m happy she left those other songs off and stick with her roots when Kanye West announce he was exec her album I said here we go with this fool trying to tell what direction she should go Kanye is crazy and I’m glad she took over or listen to her fans and drop that negro that song with Paul MacArthy was not rih American oxygen hell no so for all who complaining about this album can kick rocks rih has her island people around the world behind her

7. rosy says:

The song work is amazing! !!!! Very original one ting with rih music it grows on you the haters come with this everytime she release an album but de album go on to sell over a million you cannot please everyone

8. Maria Perez says:

Well I for one love the song FourFiveSeconds and American oxygen and I was hoping to hear Rihanna singing is At the ANTI R8 TOUR like we don’t need Kanye West in the song I wanted to sing this so loud I just love Rihanna music it’s like a spiritual thing it just makes me feel so happy and up lifting well we just have to see what’s going to happen at the ANTI R8 TOUR

9. bernard walker says: