Rihanna Daily Coverage: 2013 American Music Awards

What a night, Rihanna Navy!

Rihanna attended the 2013 American Music Awards on Sunday (November 24) in Los Angeles. In case you missed the show and our live coverage, here’s what happened: RiRi did not walk the red carpet. She was sitting next to her best friends and also had her family close. The show started with Rihanna winning Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist:

180 million singles and 50 million albums later, Rihanna received the first-ever Icon Award. Following an introduction from Bill Maher, the 25-year-old pop star performed one of her 12 No. 1 singles, “Diamonds.” Jay-Z appeared via a videotaped message to congratulate his protégé. “Between me and you, can you believe this shit? Unbelievable,” he said. RiRi’s mother Monica Fenty then presented her daughter with the award.

“I know the journey and your career has not always been an easy one, but tonight I applaud and admire you for being so strong and so positive and so humble and so focused,” she said. During the acceptance speech, Rihanna thanked L.A. Reid, her family, her glam team, and her fans. “Right now, I can’t believe that at 25 years old, I’m holding an Icon Award,” she said. “That is weird to even say out loud.”

Rihanna’s best friend later shared a video of Rihanna celebrating backstage, click here to watch it.

If you’re looking for photos, check our Twitter and visit us back later for high quality photos.

1. MILDRED PIERCE says:

I heard rumors she is doing Diamonds and then rumors she is singing a medley of songs. I hope it is a medley containing What Now, which is her current single. Without promo WN is sinking badly all over. Unlike her prior releases it looks like WN needs Rih to really promote it. If she doesn’t include it on of the biggest nights of her career, then It would be a greatly missed opportunity.

2. Adriano Ramos says:

RiRi <3

3. JoaquinHaHa says:

I think it’s at 2.00am in Madrid (Spain)!

4. Luigi says:

can’t wait for a stream. lol. not much out there. my host’ll die abc, i bet. i know i’ll not see anything.

i’ll watch the kickoff 8:30. :D *shrugs*

5. Me says:

Most likely What Now, I hope shes doing a medly

The thrill is so exciting and I can hardly wait. This is a huge night in her
    career.

Shes driven to always be the best she can be.

All eyes will be on Rih tonight.

Got nothing but love for her.

Nothing is impossible if we keep believing.

Happiness is not something ready made, it comes from
    Our own actions, and right now she is proving herself worthy
    of this great ‘Icon’ Accolade, with her great attitude, hard work ethics
    and strength to keep doing something in Music that has made a huge
    difference.

What lies before us are ting matters, compared
    to what lies within each of us.

Rihanna keep reaching for the stars.

Words cannot express how proud I am of my home girl Rihanna. I cannot contain myself with excitement and pride for her. No matter what anyone says, Rihanna you do yourself, your family and your country extremely proud everytime and you deserve the Icon award. This shows that hard work pays off and inspires you to do greater things. Keep up the good work. Congratulations! The NAVY has your back, we all love you very much.

15. Luigi says:

youtube streams? they do carpet and preshow? 5 channels booked. let’s see if there’ll be something to watch. :D

• Jayne says:

E! News has a red carpet event starting at 7:00 p.m ET – hopefully that would be interesting to watch.

Nothing but sass and class, love this look RIH. Your skin is glowing,

Talk about making a perfect fashion statement!!

Exclusively, Rihanna!!!!!

Melissa you look beautiful in that green designer number,right on. You ladies are making fashion statements ,right upfront and personal, I love your look.

I agree I thought Mel’s green dress was perfect. She looked terrific in it. Loved the color on Melissa too.

Rih embraces Fashion with open arms, and she has a sharp eye for what works
    and look great on her long lean, model body.

Mom Fenty look great, and her speech was so heart warming!

Rih I love your total look tonight, The see through Sexy Black Lace, and
    the Beautiful Designer Number,You performed in.

You know you have made it, when you are missed because you, did not
    walk the red Carpet, but you are as Sharp as ever sitting front and center
    looking like a million bucks.

Diamonds is the gift that will keep right on giving, a name that is so
    deep, beautiful and pure. The name says it all , and the song take center
    stage in any occasion. What a night so happy for RIHANNA, Family,Friends
    and Navy all around the globe.

25. SOSMANDOWN says:

Rihanna looked beautiful as always. Words can’t describe when her own Mom presented her with the award. OMG! Very special moment! Don’t want this ride to stop!

26. SOSMANDOWN says:

Rihanna looked beautiful as always. Words can’t describe when her own Mom presented her with the award. OMG! What a special moment! Don’t want this ride to end! Congrat’s Robyn on earning Soul/R&B award!! ICON!

Happy for Our girl, and I am on cloud nine, over her ‘Icon’ Award.
    I don’t want to say it loud,but We got Bragging Rights, again and I love
    the feeling it gives me.

Rih shouted her Navy, Family and Friends, Team out,
    like she always does.

I am so, so very proud of Rihanna. Very surprised her mom Monica presented the award as she is a very shy lady but I know the shyness went away once she had to present this award to Rihanna. The words only came natural and heart-felt which was not a problem. I am happy that it was decided to let her present the award, very appropriate……. tears of pride and joy come to my eyes about this whole event, both speeches were well done. Congratulations again my home-girl, well deserved. Keep up the good work and keep the sound of that “husky man-voice” coming with more songs, we all love you.

30. yogamo says:

Robyn “Daughta” You are an amazing young women ~ humble, glowing… REAL! Congrats on your #ICON status!! Seeing your Queen present this special recognition to you was a priceless moment and I know you will remember this for all time as we will. Stay Real Robyn-Rianna

Why didn’t Jay Z attend the show? He and Rih are like family plus she belongs to his Roc Nation family. Plus why did Bill start the tribute to Rih rather then LA Reed who was in the audience? I did however love Riri’s mom’s speech. I see where Rih gets her strength from it all comes from Monica. I can’t wait to see what Rih does next career wise. I wish she had performed What Now in order to help move the song up on BBhot100 list. All in all a great night for the Fenty’s.

Jay Z probably didn’t want to steal her shine. Bill, I have know idea. I heard he has a thing for dark skin ladies. He’s also not religious, wonder if he was making any faces, when Monica was praising Jesus? Wish she did What Know too!

\(O // <3