Rihanna made her Paris Fashion Week debut with a show for her Spring 2017 Fenty x Puma collection. Set against the ornate backdrop of the Hôtel Salomon de Rothschild, Rihanna’s second Puma offering was a tongue-in-cheek take on Marie Antoinette—if Marie Antoinette was the coolest girl on the block. Speaking of her Spring/Summer 2017 offerings, Rihanna told Vogue:
‘It was definitely a departure from the first collection; that collection had a much darker tone to it, intentionally so. To me, Spring should feel like something fresh, even though I’m not going to stop wearing black altogether. But I didn’t want it to be super-bubbly, so I kept it a bit street—everything was super-sporty and definitely highly influenced by 18th-century French culture, and the style of that time, mainly Marie Antoinette, and the Palace of Versailles. She just had this regal way about her, and everything she did was big. I wanted to mix that in with sport. I thought it would be a challenge, and it was! But I enjoyed it, and I hope that people do, too.
With the help of models like Imaan Hammam and Slick Woods, the superstar sent out streetwear with high-fashion twists, all grounded with her fawned-over Puma kicks.’
Find photos of Rihanna on the show here.
1. Rihanna turned the salons of the Hôtel Salomon de Rothschild into a wonderland complete with chandeliers lying on the ground and a maze-like runway that wound in and out of the hotel particulier’s many rooms.
‘I chose Paris because I wanted people to feel the entire tone of the new collection. I wanted them to feel like this is what Marie Antoinette might wear to the gym, or play tennis in. I imagined it like that, and I hope people receive it in a fun way. The other challenge was having to design part of the collection for men. I ended up just going back to myself for that, because, you know, I wear men’s clothes all the time. So I thought to myself, “Just design what you like to wear.” Tonight it’s going to be a very salon-style show—very French—and that idea was inspired by those old Christian Dior shows from back in the day, when he would show in a small room. When I went to the Dior headquarters and heard the story of how Christian Dior used to show in those small spaces, it stunned me, because Dior is such a huge brand.’
2. Moleskine had a special gift for all attendees, who were also served Jay-Z’s Ace Of Spades champagne.
3. Imaan Hammam opened the show in a transparent, Pepto-pink parka that was trimmed in ruffles. She carried a Puma-branded fan and wore a full neck of jewelry, a do-rag, and a baseball cap.
4. From there the show cycled through a variety of pink looks—the most dramatic being the bow-front number on Slick Woods—before turning to an army-green palette that included jumpsuits and a memorable hoodie with a bra top affixed to its front.
Find photos of the models wearing all looks here.
5. Corsets were a big story at Fenty x Puma, with models wearing them over dresses, as part of sweatshirts, or on their own with bra tops.
6. What about the shoes? There were creeper-soled boots, stiletto mules, and proper pumps with shoelace trim at the front for girly girls who want to nod to sports culture without getting their feet wet.
7. Many of the models in the show carried diamond rings in their mouths. How better to propose to a gal?
8. After the models took their final walk, Rihanna came out in head-to-toe pink, making sure to stop in each of the salon’s many rooms and bless her guests with a photo op. If the big smile on her face is any indication, we’d say she’s pretty happy with the outcome of this collection.
9. After the show, the models changed outfits to come back for a second round. Rihanna once again showed up with a big smile.
10. Backstage, Rihanna’s mom, who brought part of the family to watch the show, said: “She gets the design [talent] from her father but she’s always loved fashion… She would make clothes for her dolls when she was very small.” Asked if Drake is a nice guy, Monica said “he’s a nice boy. I’ve met him and I think yes. But it’s not a question for me!” Read more at Yahoo.
11. Rihanna took some time to take photos with the models after the show and you can find them here. Her Snapchat story is also full of new videos taken by Rihanna’s friend Leandra — follow ‘rihanna’ or watch them here.
12. Rihanna later celebrated the success by having dinner and partying in Paris. Check out photos here.
On her first memories of Paris, Rihanna said, ‘I remember a lot of Coca-Cola and a lot of chocolate! Not matter where I was, even in a radio station, they always offered chips, chocolate, and Coca-Cola. I would have been 16 or 17 at the time. But I remember the architecture being so incredible to look at—the fountains in the middle of roundabouts, the streets, the lampposts. Everything here is so beautiful, it never leaves you, even if you’ve only been to Paris once. The more you come, the more you learn about the culture. Eventually I was able to go to Versailles. We shot a Dior campaign there. I was blown away to be in the halls and the rooms that Marie Antoinette roamed through. Those things stay with you, and later go on to inspire things that you do. And that’s what happened with this collection.’
Check back later for more…
Congratulations to Rihanna on being nominated in four categories at the 2016 MTV EMAs! BEST SONG Adele – Hello Justin Bieber – Sorry Lukas Graham – 7 Years Mike Posner – […]
The music video for Rihanna’s “Needed Me” has just become her 26th VEVO Certified, meaning the video has reached over 100 million views! Additionally, Rihanna’s channel has over 23 million […]
Rihanna landed in Paris this Monday (September 26) for a very special occasion! Click here for photos. From New York to Paris. ✈️ #FENTYxPUMA A photo posted by Rihanna Daily […]
This year’s Global Citizen Festival took place at New York City’s Central Park on Saturday (September 24). Rihanna’s set was similar to her ANTI World Tour and you can watch […]
Rihanna is to join a campaign to ensure that girls and boys in the world’s poorest countries can get a quality education. Rihanna’s Clara Lionel Foundation announced a multi-year partnership with […]
Queen of YouTube! Rihanna has become the second artist (after Justin Bieber) and first female act to reach 10 billion views on her Vevo channel on YouTube when all global […]
On Wednesday, September 28, Rihanna will present her Spring 2017 Fenty x Puma collection during Paris Fashion Week. “It’s a dream for me to be able to present my second […]
Cara Delevingne is the new face of PUMA’s “Do You” campaign, which cites a quote from Rihanna, Puma’s creative director, as its basis: “I dare myself to make things work. […]
Rihanna earns her sixth No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, as “Needed Me” hops 2-1 on the Sept. 24-dated list. The crowning climb follows another No. 1 for […]
Via AP: Rihanna says if the Addams Family worked out in the gym, they would sport her new collection for Puma. The singer’s autumn/winter 2016 Fenty Puma by Rihanna line […]
Via Billboard: In the intersecting spheres of fashion and music, who yields more influence than Rihanna? The 28-year-old singer, whose forward-thinking and fearless approach to style nabbed her the Council […]